Frequently Asked Questions about the Root Cellar Blog
What is a blog? There are several definitions but Wikipedia says, in part, a blog (a blend of the term web log) is a type of website. Blogs are usually maintained by an individual with regular entries of commentary, descriptions of events, or other material such as graphics or video. Entries [posts] are commonly displayed in reverse-chronological order. Most blogs are interactive, allowing visitors to leave comments and even message each other via widgets on the blogs and it is this interactivity that distinguishes them from other static websites. Many blogs provide commentary or news on a particular subject [genealogy]; others function as more personal online diaries. A typical blog combines text, images, and links to other blogs, Web pages, and other media related to its topic.
What is Root Cellar's blog address (URL)? http://rootcellarramblings.blogspot.com
a. Under the header “Followers” on the right side of the screen, click the “Follow’ button
- Sign in using an account you have already created by clicking on one of the icons.
- If you are already logged into that account, you will be prompted to agree to use that account for following the Blog. Otherwise, you will be prompted to log in,
- After you click ‘agree’, the photo you use for that account will appear in the Follower Box on the Blog. If you do not have a photo, a silhouette will appear instead. Hover your cursor over any photo in the Follower Box and the name of the Follower will pop up. Click on any photo for information about the Follower.
- If you do not have one of the accounts in the selection box, click on the option to create a free Google account. After creating an account, return to the Blog and complete the steps above.
- To use a web-based newsreader*, click on one of the icons or “Choose Your Reader” for other options.
- To use your personal email account, click on “Get Root Cellar Sacramento Genealogical Society delivered by email”.
- Go to the blog and Click on the “Comments” link shown below an article. The “We love getting your comments” box appears. Type your comments and praises.
- Click on the button for “Comment As”. Select Name/URL unless you are familiar with the other options. Enter your name, first and last please. The space for can be left blank or enter your own URL if you have one. Click “Preview” if desired, otherwise click “Post Comment”. All comments are moderated and will appear on the blog article after reviewed.
- Click on the envelope icon shown after “Comments”.
- Click on one of the icons shown below the “Posted by Denise, Ron or Sandi” line. Hover the cursor over the icon for its identity to pop up.
- Attach a photo or image to an email and send to firstname.lastname@example.org which is Root Cellar’s official email address. The photo or image must be in jpg, gif or png format only.
- In the email, include a brief story about the photo or image. Include your relationship to the ancestor.
- Indicate if you want your name and/or email address to be used in the blog post. If not, the Root Cellar email address will be used and any feedback will be forwarded to you from the Root Cellar email administrator.
- Draw inspiration for your contribution from any of the Daily Blog Prompts like Mystery Monday (brickwall), Tombstone Tuesday, Wedding Wednesday. These blog prompts were suggested by Geneabloggers.