Sunday, June 19, 2011

Sentimental Sunday - Happy Father's Day Jesse Lee GREEN

Loving horses is not just a little girl’s need but it is in my genes – on my father’s side.  My father, Jesse Lee GREEN, was born July 11, 1909 in Lodi, San Joaquin County, California.  He loved and owned horses long before I came along as his first child.  I never did remember if he ever told me why he loved horses and riding so much.  I am sure as a child he was exposed to horses still being used for everyday transportation, farming and enjoyment. 

As an adult my father moved to Sacramento, California and went to work for Pacific Gas & Electric as a mechanic.  He moved into 2711 “M” Street where he boarded with friends of his.  I do not know where he boarded his horse, however I remember him saying he would ride outside the east of Sacramento in what is now called Carmichael. 
One of his horses was named “Teddy”.  Teddy was a 15.3 hand, chestnut gelding with a flax mane and tail.  Teddy was taught to ground tie which means the reins could be dropped to the ground and the horse stays in that place without moving or lowering his head to graze.  On May 4, 1940, a professional photograph was taken of Dad and Teddy in a field with buildings in the background.  The photo of Teddy on the plate was a Father’s Day gift. 

My Dad told me the story about him grooming Teddy one day.  As he was standing in front of Teddy grooming his forelock, Teddy reached out and bit my Dad in the center of his chest!  Needless to say it hurt a lot.  Dad always said “Never stand in front of a horse to groom him.  You will not get bit.”  To this day I have never groomed a horse’s forelock or face while standing in front.  Also, this helps prevent the horse from running over you if it spooks.  Another piece of wisdom my Dad passed on to me was always wear boots around horses.  This is a safety issue since a horse may not realize it is stepping on your foot.  Should the horse step on your foot, the boot, especially if it has steel reinforced toes, helps prevent a severe injury.  Advice taken - I feel unprotected should I be in any other footwear except boots around horses. 

My love of horses endures.  I am not sure what life would be like if I never had horses in my life.  I know my Dad was my inspiration to love and ride horses.  Happy Father’s Day, Dad.

By Carolee Green Jones, Program Chairperson for Root Cellar Sacramento Genealogical Society

Sentimental Sunday is just one of the daily blog themes suggested on Geneabloggers. Get your ancestors noticed here - submit content to rootcellarsgs@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love getting your comments!