Thursday, March 29, 2012

Kudos to the Corinth [Vermont] Historical Society

This is another in the series of 52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy, Week #13: Local Societies for which we are thankful.

Root Cellar member Judy Willey has high praise for the Corinth Historical Society.  According to Judy,
The Corinth Historical Society (CHS) in Vermont helped me.  Over the past few years I corresponded with CHS members Lois Jackson and Norm Collette regarding my "Towle" Family, and I have become a member/supporter of their society. They sent me genealogical and cemetery information and I purchased their History of Corinth, Vermont 1764-1995 volumes.  One of the books incorrectly identified my 4th great-grandparents as my 3rd great-grandparents, skipping a generation.  They were glad to have the correct information.  When my article Tale of Two California Towns, which included information on my California "Towle" Family, was printed in Root Cellar's periodical The Preserves, I sent CHS a copy of the periodical.  They were very excited to get it.  It just shows that information can flow both ways and communication with genealogical and historical societies can be very productive.
What a wonderful example of collaboration between two societies and their members.  A sidenote is in order here - Judy Willey's story Tale of Two California Towns was the third place winner in the First Annual Root Cellar Sacramento Genealogical Society Family History Writing Contest last year.

Did a local society help you with your genealogical research?  Send your "Kudos to a Local Society" story to rootcellarsgs@gmail.com and we'll share it with others here on the blog.

52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy is a series created by Amy Coffin.
posted by Denise Hibsch Richmond 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love getting your comments!