Monday, July 29, 2013

What's Your Blogometer Reading?

Editor's note: Today's post was written by Denise Hibsch Richmond. 

Blogs have become a mainstay in my genealogy research toolbox.  How about you? Sure, I may be a love 'em and leave 'em follower at times but by and large I'm dedicated.  They're a wonderful educational tool authored by very talented writers who are frequently professionals in their blog subject.  What's not to love?  The article itself, links within the article, sometimes sources, comments from readers, and archived articles.

Here's the list of blogs I'm following.  One day I hope to find a personal blog about at least one of my ancestors (sigh).

4YourFamilyStory.com by Caroline Pointer  -  She recently wrote about the iPad apps she uses for genealogy.

Illinois State Genealogical Society  -  I have scant Illinois ancestry but their webinars are free on the day of broadcast.  Join and listen whenever you want.

Midwestern Microhistory: A Genealogy Blog  by Harold Henderson -  He writes about Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Wisconsin, Michigan.  This blog is right up my midwestern pedigree - I have ancestors in three of the five states.  A noteworthy article included a free guide to using the Allen County Public Library in Fort Wayne.

Paula's Genealogical Eclectica by Paula Stuart-Warren - I watch for anything Minnesota here.

Search Tip of the Day by Michael John Neill - He trolls the news so you don't have to.  The tip about land records was recommended reading by Glenda Lloyd.

Sticky Notes by Ancestry.com - Find Ask Ancestry Anne here also.

The Legal Genealogist by Judy G. Russell - Immensely informative and witty about legal matters in our ancestor's day and in current times.  She writes about DNA on Sundays and recently wrote about maps.  Be sure to look up her article about Day 1 (you'll know what I mean when you click on the map link).

I also subscribe to the blogs for the California Genealogical Society and the Southern California Genealogical Society Jamboree.  These societies help me research my many California ancestors.  And the Jamboree Webinar series are free on the day of broadcast.  Join and listen whenever you want.

Now it's your turn.  What blogs are you reading?  Ok, besides this blog.  Click on Comments at the end of this post and let's talk!

------
Shop and Support Root Cellar Sacramento Genealogical Society.
Click here for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love getting your comments!