Sunday, April 22, 2012

Sunday Armchair Brainstorming: DIETZ / Germany

I have been researching my German Roots without a lot of luck, since I don't know the village or parish in Bavaria and  Hesse-Darmstadt. 

I finally located my 2nd great grandfather George A. Dietz/ Bavaria in the cemetery in Allegheny City, Allegheny Co., Pennsylvania, took pictures (in pretty sad state) and have written a letter to the administration of the cemetery looking for any new informaiton. (Of course I am hoping that my 2nd great grandmother Caroline (Noel) Dietz is also buried with the family). It appears that other family members are buried there but the stones are broken and the writting is difficult to read.

I attended a 10 week session at the Vern Turnin, Sacramento on "Genealogist in Germany". Learned alot about the history of Europe and Germany. Did alot of old world German script reading and writing. It was a good experience. It helps me to understand the different times. Germany changes so much and so often, so one really needs to know what the country looked like when your ancestors were there. I still need to do more detailed research in Bavaria and Hessen-Darmstadt.

Yesterday was the Sacramento German Genealogical Society Seminar "Tracking Down Our German Ancestors"with Warren Bittner. Very good day of learning! Today we heard about German Maps & Territories; German Gazetteers and Levels of Jurisdiction; Marriage Laws and Customs; Elusive Immigrant - Proving the German Link; U.S. Federal Land - Key Records for Gemran Immigrants; Welcome to the Library- Reading to Put Your Family into Historical Context. Yes it was a full day. Alot of the information I will file away for later research. I am going to follow some of the suggestions in the Elusive Immigrant. I need to followup on the children and their children - looking at church records and again Immigration Records. And doing alot more reading.  I do feel reenergized again ............  thank you.

Any suggestions?

Summary: 
George A Dietz / 1832 Bavaria married Caroline Noel / 1844 Hessen-Darmstadt before1864 somewhere in Germany probably in Hesse-Darmstadt, but just guessing at this point.
First child (of 8) Elizabeth Dietz (my Great Grandmother) born in 1864 in Baltimore Maryland (from 1870 census, but cannot find anything  else to prove it)....... the rest of the children were born in Allegheny City, Allegheny Co., Pennsylvania.

2 comments:

  1. You might want to consult with one of the German genealogy mentors present at the Family History Library on Eastern Ave. (1 to 4 p.m. each Thursday).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I will try that again. I am also looking forward to the NGS Conference early May. Several of my classes are German based.

      Delete

We love getting your comments!