Monday, May 18, 2015

Motivation Monday: Live Streaming Direct from Missouri

Editor's note: Today's post was written by  Sandra Gardner-Benward



Here I am in my darkened living room in front of the glowing computer Internet screen in the middle of the night (5:45am) waiting for the Live Streaming of the first of 5 classes to begin direct from the stage of the NGS Conference in St Charles Missouri. Yes the live sessions are listed as starting at 8am but that is Central Time and I am in Pacific Time - 2 hours earlier.Jeez 2 hours earlier!!! Good Grief!!! Am I nuts? Have I lost my mind? YES / No just addicted to my hobby of genealogy. Since I am not, I repeat, NOT a morning person IT IS A LITTLE NUTTY but here I am barely awake waiting for the show to begin.

It works. The program began right at 6am with happy cheery people..............YUK!!! It is days like this I wished I lived in New York because then it would be 9am NOT 6am......... OK OK

Here is the schedule for today Thursday's live streaming........  it looks like a very good day of learning.... How can you go wrong with speakers like John Colletta, Warren Bittner & David Rencher....... I am not familiar with Jeanne Larzalere Bloom or Julie Miller so that will be a treat also. I always love to hear the same topics over again especially if it is being presented by someone I am not familiar with - each person gives their own spin on the topic and adds just a little something new.



Jeanne Larzalere Bloom with Journey to America: Federal Passenger Ship Records
This was a very good session, I am glad I was here for this-  lots to learn and try. Thanks.

It is now 7:05am the first session has ended, they are setting up for the second session and there is 25 minutes left till this second session. Well, I crawled back in bed and slept till 11:30am..........  ate lunch and waited for 12:30pm when the fourth session started .......... (yes I slept through two sessions)

Bads, Bergs, Burgs, & Bachs Finding Locations in Germany with Warren Bittner. EXCELLENT, always good with great new information. So I will try again working on my German "DIETZ" family. George DIETZ from somewhere in Bavaria and his wife Caroline NOEL from somewhere in Hesse-Darmstadt. Wish me luck, I will need it.

.....another break from 1:30-2pm and hear comes the last session of this day.......... 2pm
A Methodology for Irish Emigration to North America with David Rencher- love taking sessions with David, he is very good, excellent speaker, always has good stuff. I really enjoyed this presentation even though I do not have any Irish ancestors YET. I have a feeling I will be finding some down the road. I do have Scots who are very close to Ireland so there may have been some cross over. I guess time will tell.

I know, I know, I missed two sessions this morning, but the great thing about this live streaming is that these sessions will be available in a couple of days online for the next 90 days after the presentation. So now I can re-watch the ones that I viewed today and/or view the missed ones as many times as I like through mid August. What a deal!!!

5 more sessions are live streaming tomorrow but I will be unavailable to watch till the afternoon. So again I don't have to worry since they all will be available to watch on my free time. I am really looking forward to the session with Elizabeth Shown Mills (excellent speaker with a lot of great stuff to say), Thomas W Jones, Michael Ramage, and really looking forward to the DNA session........... good stuff tomorrow!


As you can see if  you are not able to attend the conference in person,  this is a really good way to participate, learn and have fun..........  OBTW the complete syllabus comes free with the Tracks. I have downloaded it and am able to go through any of the handouts. What a Big Win Win for me!



Shop and Support Root Cellar Sacramento Genealogical Society.
Click here for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love getting your comments!